ACT TAMS PMO Design
The Territory and Municipal Services (TAMS) Directorate has responsibility for the planning and delivery of critical capital work and roads infrastructure in the ACT, in accordance with relevant strategic plans and capital frameworks.
It manages a large portfolio of varying projects throughout their lifecycle, with a total value over $200 million p.a. TAMS had undergone organisational changes, involving the amalgamation of numerous project delivery units into programs. The transformation included the establishment of a PMO and a delivery support office to support planning, delivery and governance. Management sought a stronger understanding of the potential benefits and constraints of the changed environment, and confirmation that the design was optimal to support future operations.
TBH conducted analysis of the organisational drivers for the change from various stakeholder perspectives and the potential benefits to be realised through an improved design. The analysis was realised through interviews, workshops with key stakeholders, alignment with good practice models, and desktop reviews of key documentation and relevant systems. The key deliverables included:
- Benefit Logic Map – Presenting the logic of the organisational change in a single graphic including identifying problems, benefits, and strategic and technical solutions
- PMO and Delivery Office Terms of Reference – Describing the high-level purpose and functions of the PMOs, providing a framework for their establishment and outlining the key points of organisational interface
- Expert Report – Outlining the findings from TBH analyses and providing recommendations for immediate actionsand continuous improvement steps to enhance maturity over time
The outcomes of this exercise were delivered as a joint presentation to the ACT Chapter of the Australian Institute of Project Management (AIPM).
TBH’s work provided TAMS with:
- A clear set of problem statements, measurable benefits, metrics and considerations to measure the effectiveness of the organisational change
- A clear understanding of the key functions and services to be provided by the PMO and Delivery Office as well as the key points of interface between them
- A set of actionable recommendations for the future maturation of project delivery and control within TAMS
|Client||ACT Territory and Municipal Services|
|Services||P3M and Strategic Advice|
|Value||$200 million per annum|