TransGrid’s Infrastructure Teams are responsible for the design & delivery of a large portfolio of work, consisting of over 900 projects for both the government and private contracts. These projects vary in size and complexity; from a repeatable parts replacement taking 2 weeks to deploy to a complex regional infrastructure redesign taking years to implement and finish. The Integrated Project Controls, including risk, program will improve the way their infrastructure teams monitor and manage this pipeline of work, through the development and implementation of a robust project controls process integrating cost, time, risk, reporting and WHSE. Over the course of multiple phases, people, processes and technology will be brought together through the development of a consistent and streamlined approach, combined system information, targeted reporting and standardised frameworks, which will ensure that as a group, they achieve their outcomes and successfully deliver benefits to the organisation and customers.
TBH was engaged by TransGrid to work collaboratively with their infrastructure project support team in the development and implementation of a practical integrated project controls, including risk, process suited to their business. This engagement has involved two phases:
Phase 1 – Discovery & Foundations:
- Determine processes currently in place and gauge effectiveness
- Conduct maturity assessment, identifying current/future state capabilities and improvements to tools and processes with recommendations on how to achieve maturity uplift
- Draft reporting procedures/guidelines, reporting dashboard mock-ups and integrated project controls framework
Phase 2 – Initiation and Pilot:
- Document and finalise project delivery manual (including reporting procedures/guidelines) and integrated project controls framework
- Draft, document and finalise supporting project controls frameworks (scheduled and cost)
- Design, develop and pilot control processes and associated tools e.g. Integrated excel Cost Tool, Risk Registers, SharePoint Project Controls Page & Integrated Power BI Reporting Dashboards
- Design, develop and pilot required organisational change & training material
The TBH Difference
TBH provide a targeted and unified solution that improves the overall quality and accuracy of project controls within TransGrid’s infrastructure teams. The solution has been designed with a mind towards repeatability and transparency across varying types of projects, which will improve ease of management across TransGrid’s portfolio and encourage proactive, rather than reactive, management. Better decision making will also result through the consolidation of various data sources into a streamlined reporting dashboard, that can be expanded in the future to include real-time data as the overall maturity of the control processes increases. Additionally, tools specifically developed such as the Project Controls Page; which brings together access to various systems, data and tools required to manage a project; and the Integrated Cost Tool; which brings together detailed project-level forecasts and actuals; will reduce overall project management overhead allowing the team to focus on delivery and achievement of outcomes and benefits.
To find out more about TBH’s Integrated Project Controls experience, please visit the Integrated Project Controls page.
|Services||Integrated Project Controls Development|
|Duration||2018 - 2019|