Roy Hill Iron Ore
The Roy Hill Project (RHP) represents the next generation of integrated iron ore mining, rail and port projects to be developed in the Pilbara region of Western Australia. The RHP is situated 115km north of Newman, Western Australia and is a world class iron ore deposit. The project has a defined mineralisation of more than 2.4 billion tonnes of +55% Fe iron ore, with Roy Hill planning to load its first shipment of ore for export in 2015.
The processing plant for the RHP will utilise low risk, proven technology and will be the largest single feed processing plant in the region. The independently owned and operated 344km single line, heavy haul Roy Hill railway will be constructed to transport the processed iron ore from the Roy Hill mine to a dedicated port stockyard facility south of Port Hedland. Roy Hill’s purpose-built iron ore port facility at Port Hedland will be constructed to receive, stockpile, screen and export 55Mtpa of direct shipped iron ore as lump and fines.
For the majority of the project, Roy Hill has selected an engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract delivery model. Works are phased to match funding.
The major EPC contract package comprises:
- Mine Plant: Consisting of the mine process plant, mine materials handling including stockyard, reclamation and train loading
- Rail: Consisting of rail and rail sidings, marshalling yards, maintenance facilities and amenities
- Port: Consisting of both port landside, marine and includes rail formation works
Supporting the EPC contract package is a range of long-lead principal supplied items and associated infrastructure work packages.
Roy Hill’s project delivery is supported by a project management consultant (PMC) approach. First fulfilled by Worley Parsons through the early design and contract formation phases, then by Parsons Brinckerhoff
TBH was contracted to:
- Review project delivery governance and work with the PMC to refine, develop and implement governance byway of management and control plans and procedures to ensure project control and management
- Prepare the integrated Roy Hill and PMC organisations for EPC readiness, aligning processes and procedures to the EPC contract and its conditions to ensure contract compliance
Areas of focus may be grouped as contracts management, project controls, change management and integration management. TBH ran over 18 workshops and conducted many interviews to ensure a high level of collaboration and engagement. This included:
- Steering committee meetings, formal presentations, facilitated squad checks and training sessions. Deliverables were authority and delegation matrices, RACI charts, revised management and control plans, procedures, templates, tracking forms and detailed workflows
To find out more about TBH’s Integrated Project Controls experience, please visit the Integrated Project Controls page.
|Roy Hill Holdings Pty Ltd
|2011 - 2015